Why Summer Daylight is Longer than Winter Daylight – Example of explanation text
Again Free English Course brings you an example of explanation text. Today we learn why the daylight in the Summer is longer than in the Winter. This explanation text about why something happens is provided with generic structure. Hopefully it can help you to do your English lesson in text types. Let’s see the following sample!
Example of Explanation Text – Why Summer Daylight is Longer than Winter Daylight
In the summer, the amount of daylight that we get is more than we get in winter. This is not because as much people think we are closer to the sun but because of the tilt of the earth.
The earth is actually closer to the sun in winter than it is in summer but you would be forgiven for thinking that this can not be true after looking out of your window on a cold and frosty morning.
It seems strange that as the earth get closer to the sun during its orbit then the amount of daylight that we get decrease. But that is the case. It is the tilt of the earth that determine the amount of daylight that we get and so the length of time that for us the sun is above the horizon.
(Taken from: www.ictteachers.co.uk)
Generic Structure Analysis on Explanation Text Sample
1. General statement: Stating the phenomenon that is the daylight in summer is longer than in winter.
2. Explanation: It is the tilt of the earth that determines the amount of daylight not the distance of the earth from the sun.
Language Feature Analysis on Explanation Text
* Focusing generic participant: daylight.
* Using chronological connection: then, so, but.
* Using passive voice: you would be forgiven.
* Using present tense: the earth is actually closer to the sun.
That’s all what FreeEnglishCourse.Info can give you, an example of explanation text. Never give up for learning English as it is one of the most common language used in the world.